Teaching is such a Treat
Rather than using sweets as a behaviour management tool (a controversial strategy) why not use the sweet treats to teach! Here we’ve compiled a pick ‘n’ mix of some delicious lesson and activity ideas to engage your students in a variety of subjects.
- Descriptive writing can be used at any Key Stage with sweet treats as a stimulus. TES has a variety of different lesson plan ideas ready to use ranging from sensory writing to describe the inside of a sweet shop.
- Advertising – branding and marketing a new sweet brand.
- Favourite sweets from children’s books.
- Children’s books about sweets. More books about sweets.
- Where to start?! There are so many different ideas with sweets perfect for fractions, division, money and probability.
- 25 Creative Candy Math Activities To Make Learning Fun
- Sweet Algebra
- 3D shapes
- Making cells – There are various different resources out there to do this but the concept remains the same: using different types of sweets to represent different organelles. See some exampleshere, here and here. Make sure you check out our own Prospero video on doing this below!
- Modelling DNA – Marshmallows, jelly tots and cocktail sticks!
- 10 Awesome Candy Experiments for Kids
- Circulation system
- Equality – Using Smarties to stimulate debate.
- Population – The Jelly Baby Population Game is always a hit!
- Communism – Marx + M&Ms = Marks!
- Earthquakes – A tray of jelly and marshmallow structures.
- Food miles – How far have all the ingredients of a chocolate bar travelled?
- Cake Landforms – There is a wide range of examples out there (even a more savoury mash potato version!)
- Food tech with sweets!
- Designing or branding sweets.
- Using sweets in different types of artwork – some awesome posters here.
- Constructing a sweet dispenser.
- Talking about sweets in different languages (names/adjectives/opinions).
- Sweets from around the world.
- Creating diagrams and graphs using sweets (strawberry laces can be used for anything!)
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – A wide range of teaching ideas using the text.
- 35 Chocolate activities
- A Dozen Candy-Coated Classroom Activities!
Or if your students would prefer experimenting with something more gruesome try this investigation.
IMPORTANCE NOTICE – HEALTH AND SAFETY
Always check any school policies and with your head of department before doing something like this.
YOU MUST BE AWARE OF ANY ALLERGIES AND DIETARY REQUIREMENTS.
You must also make sure students wash their hands before and after, as well as thinking of ways to avoid your ‘resources’ disappearing straight away!